5 Min Read
A liquid diet is any low-calorie food or meal that is taken in the liquid form. This happens when somebody replaces any or like two meals during the day with any food in liquid form, this entails taking a lot of foods which are mostly in the liquid state. A person can blend juice from fruits and vegetables or even make smoothies or cook soup. There are different types of liquid diets for weight loss; consumption of liquid meals is highly recommended instead of the usual solid-state ones. A person may be required to change some foods with liquid ones or they can do a complete overhaul of their solid meals to liquid meals.
Liquid diets are feeding schedules that need a person to either take some or a big percentage of their daily calories requirements from liquid-form foods instead of relying on the usual solid-state ones. These diets are quick and effective, can be prepared at home without the need for a prescription from a doctor. The meal schedule is easy to follow at home.
A person can prepare certain liquid diets for weight loss at home without any prescription to them or when the situation is critical they need to do it under close medical supervision. It observed that before taking a liquid diet the weight of the patient is high but after starting taking the diet the weight starts to reduce. There are many liquid diets, which can be classified into the followed categories;
Types Of Liquid Diet For Weight Loss
A person is required to talk to their nutritionist or dietitian when it comes to choosing the most suitable liquid diet to use while trying to reduce their weight. There are three main types of liquid diets, they include:
- Detox or Cleansing Liquid Diet - Also known as Detox Diets and Cleanses, these help the body in detoxification they usually give clear results when used by a person for a period of once in a week for a whole month. A person usually takes only vegetable and fruits juices.
- Meal Replacement Liquid Diet - This liquid diet entails the replacement of any single or two solid-form foods with liquid-form foods. A person still can take any other solid meals too while on this type of liquid diet schedule but only if they are completely healthy and nutritious at the same time. The liquid diets that a person chooses to stick to should be low in calories and should have all the Macros, that is they are supposed to contain adequate levels of protein, carbohydrates, and fat and all the micronutrients like vitamins, minerals, etcetera.
- Medical Liquid Diet - While the above liquid meals are mainly for the purpose of assisting in the loss of a personâ€™s weight, the medical liquid diet is not for weight loss. Itâ€™s a prescription by the doctors to their patients while preparing them to undergo a scheduled surgery or assist them in recovering from an injury or facilitate food digestion by making the process to be much easier.
The prescribed liquid diets require a person to stick to taking a clear liquid diet. They need only to take liquids like water, soup, tea, syrup, among other liquids.
Benefits Of Liquid Diet
- Assists in detoxification.
- Enhances skin quality.
- Helps in the relaxation of the digestive system.
- Helps in fast healing for people who have undergone tonsils and stomach surgeries.
- It is of great help to people suffering from cancer of the mouth, esophagus or gums.
Side Effects Of Liquid Diet
- Loss of immunity in the body.
- May cause dizziness.
- Increase in cravings for food which can cause overeating.
- Might cause reduced brain.
- It can cause mood swings and irrational thoughts.
Due to risks associated with this, as it does not provide the person with adequate calories and nutrients, it is advisable not to use it for more than a few days. It should be used as directed by the doctor.
It has been observed that after going off the liquid diet a person tends to regain the weight they have lost. This implies that in order to have the right weight individual should stick to different types of liquid diets for weight loss for the rest of life.