Dr. A.V. Gurava Reddy is one of the prominent joint replacement surgeons of the metropolis of Hyderabad who has earned a reputation for having done the most number of joint replacements in a year. It is said that, on an average, he does about about 3,500 replacements annually - that's the second largest number in Asia, and more than any surgeon in Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Kolkata.
Dr. Gurava Reddy has extensive international exposure having worked for more than a decade in the United Kingdom. He is a medical expert who is frequently consulted in Europe and the U.S.A., and he regularly conducts surgeries in the Middle East and Gulf countries.
Dr. Gurava Reddy has a number of innovations and firsts to his credit:
- He introduced the concept of Bilateral Simultaneous Total Knee Replacement in India, where the patients undergo both knee replacements in the same sitting. This leads to a shorter period of rehabilitation and reduction in the cost.
- Dr. Reddy introduced Bilateral Staggered Total Knee Replacement for patients who are not fit due to advanced age or co-morbidities, where the knee replacements are done 3 days apart.
- He also developed the concept of Rapid Recovery Protocol where selected patients are made to walk within 4 hours of surgery, and the patients are discharged after 48 hours.
- He was the first to introduce 'Computer aided navigation' for total knee replacements in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- He was the first to perform Rotating Platform Knee replacement.
Dr. A. Gurava Reddy specializes in joint replacement surgery, knee surgery, hip replacement surgery, and orthopedic surgery. He performs Elbow Fracture & Dislocation treatment, Hand/Wrist Fracture & Dislocation treatment, and Hip Arthroscopy.
Dr. Gurava Reddy is the Managing Director of Sunshine Hospitals and Chief Joint Replacement Surgeon at Sunshine Bone & Joint Institute, which is a 300-bedded NABH Accredited Multispecialty hospital. Both the institutes were conceived by Dr. Gurava Reddy.