Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty is a name that is spoken of with reverence and respect in the field of cardiology. He is one of the leading heart specialists in the country who has been recognized as one of the top cardiac surgeons in the world.
The world-renowned cardiac surgeon, who has more than 25 years of experience, in the field of cardiac surgery has the distinction of performing a number of surgeries. Dr. Shetty and his team have performed over 70,000 major heart surgeries, out of which 15,000 surgeries were on children alone, many of them new born babies.
Dr. Shetty has founded the world-famous and prestigious Narayana Hrudayalaya in Bangalore – a unique hospital completely devoted to heart care. He, later founded the Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences (RTIICS) in Kolkata. Dr. Shetty is the Executive Chairman and Managing Director of Narayana Hrudayalaya Private Limited.
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty's specializations encompass the following areas:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery
- Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
Moreover, Dr. Shetty is a renowned expert in pediatric cardiac surgeries.
Dr. Shetty entered the world of medicine after he did his MBBS from the Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore. He, then did MS (General Surgery) from the same institution. He trained in Cardiac Surgery at the West Midlands Cardio-Thoracic Rotation Program in Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry and East Birmingham Hospital, Birmingham, UK. He, later worked at the Cardio-Thoracic unit in Guys Hospital, London from 1983 to 1989.
Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty has made immense contributions to the field of cardiac surgery, some of which are:
- He is the first cardiac surgeon in India to perform heart surgeries on newborn babies, using a Microchip camera to close holes in the heart.
- He has pioneered operations for complex problems of the heart, such as Pulmonary Endarterectomy, Redo heart surgery, Aortic Aneurysm surgeries, and valve repairs in newborn babies.
He has made the following contributions to the field of medicine:
- He is the first in the world to coin the term Micro Health Insurance
- He has helped the Karnataka state government to launch Yeshashwini Micro Health Insurance, considered as the largest Micro Health Insurance program in the world.
- He has coined the term “Health City” and he is in the process of creating 5000-bed Health cities in every state capital of India
- His team manages the world’s largest Telemedicine program through the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
Dr. Shetty and his team are committed to their mission to make healthcare affordable to the masses living in third world countries.