Dr. Varma is a specialist in the treatment of diseases/ illnesses of the heart, lungs & major blood vessels that require surgical intervention. He is a senior consultant cardiothoracic surgeon based in Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India. Dr. Varma had his basic medical education, postgraduate general surgical training and superspeciality cardiothoracic surgical training at the Christian Medical College, Vellore, india. He then went on to obtainthe diplomate of the national board (in cardiothoracic surgery) from the national board of examinations, New Delhi, India. He then honed his surgical skills further in various cardiothoracic surgical centres in England and Australia before returning to Coimbatore, Tamilnadu where he has established a busy cardiothoracic surgical practice. His team currently performs approximately 400-450 major cardiothoracic surgical procedures including
- Coronary Bypass Graft Surgery (Off pump & on pump, BIMA pedicled, LIMA & RIMA Y, LIMA,RIMA LRA total arterial revascularisation)
- Surgery for Simple Congenital Heart Defects (PDA, ASD, VSD, Coarctation of Aorta)
- Surgery for Complex Congenital Heart Disease (Tetralogy of Fallot, Tricuspid Atresia, AV Canal defects, TGA, and combined lesions)
- Surgery for Lung Diseases (Video Assisted Thoracic Surgery, Bronchoscopy, Pneumonectomy, Lobectomy, Segmentectomy, Decortication etc)
- Surgery for all types of Mediastinal Tumors
- Surgery for diseases of the great arteries (Aortic Aneurysms, aorto bifemoral bypass, Femero popliteal bypass etc)
He has more than 20 years of post qualification experience in his field apart from the wealth of experience accumulated during training. He has several publications in national and international journals, has been an invited speaker at many meetings, has chaired scientific sessions and actively participated in professional meetings related to the field of cardiothoracic surgery.