Dr. Sarju Ralhan is an internationally acclaimed surgeon who specializes in cardiovascular, thoracic, and vascular surgeries. He also has a keen interest in the surgical management of patients afflicted with Coronary artery disease and diseases of the aorta. He has clinical expertise in cardiothoracic and vascular surgery and specializes in diseases of the off pump coronary artery bypass grafting, valvular heart disease, and disease of the aorta.
As a Junior Resident in SSGH Hospital, Baroda, Dr. Sarju Ralhan has assisted in more than 150 open heart surgeries either as first or second assistant. He has been the first assistant in 1500 open heart surgeries for CABG, Valve replacements, and Congenital heart Surgeries. He has performed a number of radial artery, Left Internal Thoracic Artery, Right Internal Thoracic Artery, and Endoscopic Internal Thoracic artery harvesting surgeries. He has done more than 5000 various types of independent surgeries, including valve replacement, CABG, OPCAB, and Aortic root replacement. During his three year tenure of General Surgery, he has done two years of House Surgeon ship and one year as a Registrar at the SSGH Hospital.
Dr. Sarju Ralhan has also been a member of the ongoing Indo-US genomic trial in diabetics since 2002 and he has about 12 International publications from this trial. He is the Principal investigator and the head of the Data Coordination Center for the Aortic Valve Replacement with Magna Ease valve, a study sponsored by the Edward Life Science, which has its headquarters in California in the United States of America.
Dr. Ralhan started his medical career by doing his MB.BS from the Government Medical College in Patiala, which was followed by his MS (Gen. Surgery) from the Maharaja Sayaji Rao Gaekewad University in Vadodhara. He later did his M.Ch from PGIMER, Chandigarh with distinction.
Dr. Sarju Ralhan has held the following positions:
- Junior Resident, Internal Medicine, Govt. Medical College, Patiala (Jan. 1991 to June 1991)
- Junior Resident General Surgery, SSGH Baroda, (June 1991 to July 1993)
- Senior Resident, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre New Delhi (Aug. 1993 to Mar. 1994)
- Senior Resident, General Surgery, Govt. Medical College Chandigarh, (Mar. 1994 to June 1994)
- Senior Resident Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, P.G.I. Chandigarh, (July 1994 to June 1996)
- Attending Cardiac Surgeon, Tagore Heart Care and Research Centre Jalandhar, (July 1996 to Aug. 1997)
- Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, BBC Heart Care, Jalandhar, (Sept.1997 to Sept. 2001)
- Senior Cardiac Surgeon, BBC Heart Care, Jalandhar (Oct.2001 to Dec 2002)
- Senior Consultant Surgeon, Hero DMC Heart Institute (Dec 2002 till date)