Fiber Content in Pistachios and its Benefits
Yummy, toothsome or delicious. Simply give it a name. The munchies are favourites among tea time dishes all over the world. Well, speaking of fiberin pistachios, it is one of the best fiber-carrying stuff around. In a standard serving of one ounce of pistachios, consisting about 49 nuts, you will find around 3 grams of fiber. It contains around 12% of the recommended requirement of fiber in the body.
Are pistachios high in fiber?
Both kinds of dietary fibre content are present in substantial quantities in pistachios. Some are insoluble in nature, like most other nuts. Due to its insoluble nature, it binds with water and allows movement of materials through the intestinal track.
It prevents constipation and the faeces become softer in nature, easier to be discharged from the body. Thus, the chances of other complications like haemorrhoids are further diminished.
On the other hand, the soluble fibre forms a soft, sticky material after combining with water, promoting healthy blood glucose and cholesterol levels in the body. It delays problems like gastric emptying, while the insoluble fiber content makes you feel fuller. Therefore, if you are wondering- are pistachios high in fiber, the answer is definitely yes.
How much fiber should you take daily?
According to dieticians, a healthy body requires around 14 grams of dietary fibre per thousand calories of intake. This takes the amount of fiber requirement in young men and women to 38 grams and 25 grams, respectively. However, people aged over 50 need just 21 to 30 grams of fiber every day to stay healthy.
Health benefits of pistachios
Besides preventing constipation and maintaining healthy level of glucose in the body, pistachios are helpful in the following ways:
- They contain fatty acids, unsaturated in nature, which is healthy for the heart.
- It is a good source of Vitamin B6. Thus, it boosts up the immunity levels of the body and keeps cold away.
- Several minerals like copper, manganese and potassium are present in pistachios. It is interesting to note that it is equal to banana in terms of potassium content. It helps in minimising stress due to high levels of potassium content in it.
- These nuts can also prevent macular diseases that are related to age. They contain zeaxanthin and lutei, which are carotenoid antioxidants, which help the body to fight these diseases.
- Pistachios aid the overall process of digestion, eliminating wastes easily and keeps the system clean.
Preparing the best pistachio diet in four simple steps
Here is a small pistachio recipe that you might love to cook:
1. Blend one cup of pistachios with three cups of shelled milk proportionately. The milk and pistachios have to be poured into a bowl and the eggs are whisked in.
2. The mixture is heated over a stove and one cup of brown sugar is poured into it.
3. Stir the mixture well until it starts boiling. After it boils, remove it from the stove and allow it to cool down in a bowl.
4. Well, the preparation is ready. You can top the refrigerated mixture with strawberries and coconut.
Make sure you include pistachios in your diet to stay healthy.