6 Min Read
Every one of us has heard about or used essential oils at some point in their life. These essential oils have been used for centuries and are an important part of aromatherapy as they are known to have restorative and curative properties. But not many of us have heard of frankincense essential oil.
That is so because itâ€™s not really an essential but the sap of a tree that is steamed to create oil with a number of health benefits.
What is Frankincense Essential Oil?
Frankincense oil is made from the sap of a shrub or short tree known as Boswellia frereana. The sap that is collected is then purified using steam. This shrub can be grown anywhere, however is most common to the Middle East and parts of Oman and Somalia. The quality if the essential oil is one of the best available in the world. This essential oil has a high level of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes in it, which encourage the body's natural restorative progressions.
Letâ€™s Take a Look at The Benefits of Frankincense Essential Oil
Not only does this essential oil benefit your health, but also helps your emotional well being. This essential oil being used while praying or meditating is one of the frankincense essential oil uses you should know about. This is because it has a very good impact on your emotions and your spirit.
Frankincense Essential Oil Can be Used As
- Tension Releasing Bath oil as it will make you feel relaxed, peaceful and satisfied. All you need to do is add a few drops of the oil to a bucket or bathtub filled with hot water to relieve stress.
- An Organic House Cleaner as it is known to have antiseptic properties that will help you get rid of virus and bacteria from your home. People have also burnt the plant in order to sanitize or to deodorise an area.
- Organic Product for Dental Hygiene as it is a strong antibacterial. The oil in oral care products helps you avoid dental issues like cavities, bad breath, oral infections as well as tooth decay.
- To Fight Signs of Aging, as it is known to be a potent astringent. This means this oil helps to guard skin cells, diminish spots and imperfections, work on how the large pores look, avoid wrinkles and even tighten and lift skin to fight signs of aging. You can use this essential oil to get rid of loose skin on your stomach, under your chin and even bags under your eyes.
- Relieve Signs of Stomach-ache as it is known to speed up the process of digestion. Adding one or two drops of this oil to a glass of water or 1 tbsp of honey can help you relieve any digestive issues such as stomach ache, irritable bowels, gas, constipation, as well as pre-menstrual cramps.
- To get rid of Scars, Stretch Marks or Acne â€“ as Frankincense essential oil promotes wound healing while reducing scars and blemishes caused due to pimples. It also helps you get rid of stretch marks, eczema and encourages faster healing of medical injuries.
- To cure a cold or Flu as it helps you get rid of the congestion or mucus in your lungs to relieve a cough. This oil also helps to ease your nasal passages by preventing swelling, which helps you breathe easily even if you suffer from allergies or asthma.
- Get rid of Swelling and Agony when you add a drop of oil to steaming water. You can either soak a towel in the water and place it on your body or inhale the fumes to promote blood circulation. It works to cure the signs of muscle or joint pain especially for conditions like arthritis, gastric issues, or respiratory issues. You can even mix this oil with a carrier oil like coconut and massage your muscles, feet or neck to relieve pain.
Hereâ€™s a Look at The Health Benefits of Frankincense Essential Oil
Helps Lessen Strain & Harmful Feelings:
Frankincense essential oil helps to lower your heart rate and high blood pressure as it has anti-stress and anti-depression properties. Unlike prescription meds, this oil does not have harmful side effects such as lethargy.
Boosts Defence Mechanism:
A number of research studies have shown that Frankincense essential oil has properties that can strengthen your bodyâ€™s defence mechanism. It also has the ability to defend against various viruses, bacteria and at times even cancer. It often helps prevent germ issues on your skin, mouth and even your home, which is why it is one of the ingredients used in natural oral hygiene products. The antiseptic properties of this essential oil helps to prevent bad breath, cavities, gingivitis, as well as other infections.
Helps Relieve Side Effects of Chemotherapy:
Frankincense essential oil has the properties that helps it fight against certain type of cancers. A recent study found that AKBA, a chemical compound found in this oil can fight against cancer successfully, that may have been unaffected by chemotherapy.
Fights Against Germs and Bacteria:
This essential oil is known as an antiseptic and disinfectant, which is why it has the ability to fight against cold and flu from both the body and your home.
Frankincense essential oil is also one of the ingredients in natural cosmetics as it has the ability to tighten your skin, enhance your skin tone, its elasticity and remove dark spots and blemishes caused by acne. Not only does it prevent wrinkles from happening but it also heals wounds faster and reduces scars related to pregnancy or surgery.
Maintains Hormone Levels:
People having been using Frankincense oil to help relieve signs related to menstruation and menopause by maintaining hormone levels in the body. It helps to relieve pain, headaches, constipation, stress, exhaustion and mood swings effectively. It also helps to regulate the levels of estrogen in the body, while reducing the risk of developing a tumor or cyst in menstruating women.
Helps Faster Digestion:
This oil when consumed helps your digestive system to flush out toxins, reduce aches and cramps in the stomach, relieve queasiness, remove excess water from the body to prevent bloating and relieve pre-menstrual pains. This oil improves the speed of digestive enzyme secretion, the muscles in the digestive tract, and increase blood circulation too. Studies have also shown that it is able to reduce any signs of Crohnâ€™s disease, leaky gut, ulcerative colitis and other diseases.
Promotes Better Sleep:
Stress and anxiety can cause sleeplessness. Frankincense oil is often used to relieve stress and tensions which help to calm your mind while itâ€™s natural fragrance helps you fall asleep quickly. It also opens up your respiratory system, which helps the body reach optimal sleeping temperature by getting rid of pain that may prevent you from going to sleep.