know about Hemangioma Signs and Symptoms
Hemangioma is like a birthmark that a baby develops it in the mother’s womb itself. It is the extra blood vessels visible on the skin. It appears like a bright red rubber noduleon the skin. Hemangioma is one of the major causes of benign tumor among infants and effects 5-10% infants across the world annually. The medical condition term hemangioma is derived from Greek words ‘haema’ that means blood and ‘angeio’ that means vessels.
Hemangioma usually appears when the infant is in the womb, hence it is congenital. A hemangioma grows in the first year of life of the infant and diminishes over a period of time. If it is observed at birth, it usually fades away around the age of ten. A hemangioma emerges on any part of the body but usually can be observed on the face, scalps, chest and back. Sometimes they develop on internal organs as well, usually the liver. It is a noncancerous growth structured due to an abnormal gathering of blood vessels into a single lump.
The four major types of hemangioma are 1) Capillary Hemangioma, 2) Cavernous Hemangioma, 3) Compound Hemangioma and 4) Lobular Capillary Hemangioma.
The condition of hemangioma vascular tumor is termed as hemangiomata in medical dictionaries.
The cause of Hemangioma is still unknown from the experts across the globe.
- Some researchers suggest with their hypothesis that it’s caused by certain proteins that are produced in the placenta during gestation when the infant is in the womb.
- Some studies point towards estrogen for hemangioma proliferation.
- The Stanford Children’s Surgical Laboratory presented in their 2007 paper that localized soft tissue hypoxia coupled with increased circulating estrogen after birth may be the stimulus causing hemangioma.
- The cause of hemangioma may be hereditary also.
We still need to conduct various tests and researches to know the actual cause of hemangioma. Majorly white infants, females and premature babies fall prey to hemangioma across the globe.
- Hemangioma develops in the first few weeks or months as the baby is born. Usually premature infants with weight less than three pounds, females and twins are affected.
- Early lesions may resemble a red scratch or patch, a white patch, or a bruise.
- Hemangioma inside the body usually goes unnoticed as it is not visible. When it grows internally, or multiple hemangiomas form, it causes problems. Some symptoms that can be traced are nausea, vomiting, unexplained weight loss, abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite, among others.
When the hemangioma is on the skin, it doesn’t require any diagnosis. In many cases, treatment is not required if the hemangioma is not causing any physical problem. It will naturally diminish over few years. Also, the treatment will have side-effects. But there are some cases that need treatment. It is necessary in cases where the nodule interferes with vision and breathing.
- Infantile hemangioma can be diagnosed with ultrasound, MRI, imaging, cytology or other required diagnosis needs.
- In the case of superficial hemangiomas, a gel with timolol drug can be applied on the affected area. This is called beta blocker treatment.
- Corticosteroid medication is another option to deal with hemangioma with oral injection or injection on the affected area.
- Laser surgery is also one of the alternatives to treat hemangioma.
- Surgical removal is one of the hemangioma treatment with some side-effects. It is usually executed in the case of internal hemangiomas.
To know more about hemangioma, you can contact some of the best vascular surgeons in Kolkata.
Hemangioma of Liver:
Hemangioma of liver develops on the surface of the liver. It creates a noncancerous liver mass in the liver. They are considered sensitive for estrogens. Abdominal pain is the most common symptom of noncancerous liver mass hemangioma. It can be diagnosed with CT Scan, MRI and ultrasound.
Women are at a higher risk of developing a liver hemangioma than men. Usually, it is diagnosed after the age of 30.
The problem of hemangioma is present since birth, ie, it is congenial. If there are internal problems, visionary or breathing blockage or liver problems due to hemangioma, then treatment is recommended. Otherwise, Hemangioma treatment is not required as it naturally fades away in few years. Still, if there are some complications, vascular surgeons at Sehat.com are always at your service. You just need to contact them.