How to make the most of your Cardiologist consultation
Caring for your heart is extremely important for a healthy life. Since the organ is solely responsible for pumping blood and oxygen, the slightest disturbance in its anatomy or functioning can have a drastic influence on your body. It is mandatory to schedule appointments with your cardiologist regularly to monitor heart health. Religiously, doctors ask us a lot of questions and depending on our answers and tests, our problem is diagnosed. However, it is all the more important for you to ask questions too and get them answered. That brings peace to your mind and you can be well prepared to handle the situation. Many heart problems usually end up in surgeries that are not all that complicated. A few days in the hospital and medication to ease the pain are more than enough.
We have compiled a few questions that might be helpful to you during your next cardiologist appointment.
- If my parents were diagnosed with heart diseases, do I stand a chance to inherit them?
- How to identify the symptoms of a heart disease?
- Can I treat them any over-the-counter medicines or should I come to the hospital immediately?
- What are the risks associated with the disorder if I do not do anything?
- Can I get a second opinion from another cardiologist?
- How much will the treatment cost?
- How long should I be hospitalized for the treatment?
- When can I go home after the surgery / therapy?
- Is there a special diet I should follow or can I eat anything?
- Are there chances of the disease recouping or am I done with it?
- How will I feel after the treatment? Are there any side-effects?
- Can I still smoke or have alcohol occasionally after the treatment?
- What are the lifestyle changes I should make to heal my condition?
- Can I exercise regularly?
Many people are too shy to ask questions when they are interacting with their health care provider. Remember that asking will help the both of you in understanding the health condition and also put your mind at ease. Sehat.com Cardiologists vouch by a few tips that can help improve one’s heart health. If you are suffering from a cardiovascular disease or are recuperating after a heart surgery, these can be of great help.
- Keep an eye on your blood pressure. All highs and lows must be immediately reported to your doctor.
- Cut down smoking and alcohol consumption totally. These two habits can have a drastic impact on your health and slow down healing.
- Exercise regularly. A ten minute brisk walk or a stroll around the park is more than enough. Ensure that your body gets its much needed activity every day.
- Eating fish regularly as a part of your diet can help reduce the risk of heart diseases and also heal surgical wounds faster. Fish contains plenty of omega-3 fatty acids that help in tissue formation and regulate blood flow. Consuming fish twice a week helps by a great deal.
- Cutting down salt intake and junk food consumption also boost heart health. Similarly, include salads and fresh fruits in your diet to help your heart.