Using Olive Oil for Treating Constipation - Some Proven and Effective Ways
Constipation is among the most common gastrointestinal problems, which can get quite difficult when not handled in the right manner. It is said that a person is constipated when he does not have bowel movements for consecutive 3 days. Bowel movements after that can be very painful and extremely difficult. When the bowel remains in the intestine for long, the colon absorbs water from the same and this makes bowel movements quite difficult. Constipation can hamper your daily activities and functions gravely and make you grumpy and irritated.
Conditions Contributing to Constipation
There are many factors, which contribute to constipation in the system. Some of the most important ones among them include:
- Lack of fiber in diet
- Not drinking enough water or other fluids
- Poor diet
- Problem of bowel obstruction
- Sedentary lifestyle and lack of proper exercise
- Excessive consumption of caffeine or alcohol
- Some health conditions like diabetes, Parkinson’s, irritable bowel syndrome
Olive Oil in Treating Constipation
It is true that laxatives help in alleviating constipation symptoms, but regular usage can make you dependent on them and finally they don’t work. Instead of laxatives, trying natural ingredients is a better solution for treating constipation. And olive oil is one such ingredient. This oil helps in encouraging healthy functioning of gall bladder, colon and the entire digestive system. Stool movement is bettered with this oil and hence constipation is avoided.
Benefits of Olive Oil for Constipation
1. Helps in improving the overall health of the digestive system, as the oil is rich in essential fatty acids like omega-3, iron, vitamin E, iron and vitamin K.
2. Olive oil has slippery texture and hence it helps in lubricating the digestive system. With a well-lubricated digestive system, things can move and pass easily through the colon. With regular consumption of olive oil, constipation can be averted in the first place.
3. Evacuation process is sped up with olive oil as stool slips through the colon comfortably. This is because the oil is rich in monounsaturated fats and good fats.
4. Functioning of the gall bladder is improved significantly with olive oil as the release of bile is promoted through this ingredient. Bile helps in breaking down and digesting fat.
5. Olive oil helps in coating the digestive system and protects the mucus lining of the colon, which might be depleted with passing of hard stools. Stools are softened with the help of olive oil so that their passage is easy and less painful.
6. Most importantly, olive oil is a complete natural ingredient and does not have any kinds of side effects like laxatives etc.
Some Tried and Tested Ways of Using Olive Oil for Constipation
- Buy a bottle of 100% pure, extra virgin olive oil. When you wake up in the morning, take 1 teaspoonful of olive oil and another teaspoonful right before going to bed at night. Keep on doing this till constipation is cleared.
- Adding olive oil to your drink helps considerably. You can add this oil to your juice or coffee easily. Take one tablespoon of olive oil and add it in your morning coffee or juice and drink it in empty stomach. The digestive system gets the required lubrication through this process so that passage of stool is easy and convenient. Make sure that you don’t add too much of olive oil.
- Combination of lemon and olive oil works well too for the digestive system. Take 1 tablespoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of lemon juice and mix them well. Swallow this mixture. If extracting lemon juice is difficult, bite into a lemon slice after taking one tablespoon of olive oil. The stools don’t dry up in this process and bowel movements remain smooth and comfortable.
- Some people suffer from constipation due to gut bacteria. Yogurt can help in such situations, because it contains good bacteria and helps in strengthening the mucus lining in the colon. Take a cup of yogurt and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same. Stir well so that the ingredients mix well together. Consume the same minimum 3 times daily for best results.
- If you don’t like the taste and flavor of olive oil for consumption, olive oil massage can also reduce the chances of constipation and provide relief from the same. The skin absorbs the oil and massage helps in reducing pain and discomfort caused due to hard stools. Put few drops of olive oil around the navel area on the stomach and massage gently. Do this twice daily.
This natural ingredient is truly a magical remedy for stubborn constipation.
Sehat provides list of best Abdominoplasty Procedure Doctors in Hyderabad from which you can research and choose the right doctor for your condition.