6 Min Read
Everyone would agree that a normal headache requires just a pill or two and a quick nap. But migraines are not that easy. Migraine sufferers have to go through a lot of pain and also too many drugs. But the truth is that these drugs not only have side effects like nausea, ulcers etc. but also they do not relief. The solution to that is not just to shift to natural cures but first to understand what to do when you have a migraine attack and to know why such an attack actually exists. The overstimulation of the nerves in the brain causes them to release a chemical which results in inflammation and swelling in the nerves of neck and brain further leading to immense pain. Hence here are the ways to address it naturally without drugs.
- Exercise: Studies all over the world have shown enough evidence that people who regularly work out or are involved in some sort of physical exercise; tend to have lesser migraine attacks. And also they do not have any side effects that the people who take medicines have. Moderate exercise tend to reduce pressure and lessen the stress, hence lesser migraine attacks.
- Vitamin B12: This is an important vitamin which is required to treat migraine. It helps reduce the incidences of migraine and is known as the best preventive treatment. Best natural food sources for this vitamin are liver, eggs, low fat milk, yogurt, broccoli, spinach, almonds etc.
- Magnesium levels in the body: Everyone knows that body cannot produce magnesium so we have to depend on food or supplements and magnesium is required to relax the nerves and send nerve impulses in the body. Magnesium is available best in pumpkin seeds, spinach, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, soya beans and black beans.
- Feverfew and Butterbur: These popular herbs have been in practice to treat migraine scientifically and naturally. They offer a mild and transient relief from migraine and are also proven to decrease the migraine incidents too.
- Stress Management: Stress, tension, worry, depression have always been strongly associated with migraine. They not only make it worse but also increase the incidents to a fairly high number. Hence a stress balanced healthy life is important in order to treat migraine. Practicing mind relaxing hobbies like music, painting, meditation etc., will help a lot to treat migraine naturally. Relaxation training by a psychologist might help depending on the severity of the migraine.