What Causes Blackheads?
There are certain skin conditions which cannot be termed as forms of serious ailments but they can be quiet annoying and affect your well being in certain ways. One such instance is blackheads. These are dark and small lesions appearing on skin and mostly affecting face and neck region. They often precede acne but this is not must. Blackheads are mostly composed of oxidized melanin and they get worse when you scrub or squeeze. Before you try treating these, you have to learn what causes blackheads. While they do not always lead to serious skin issues, they are often perceived as source of embarrassment.
Roots of Blackheads
Contrary to widespread perception, blackheads are not caused necessarily by trapped dirt. There are several factors that lead to formation of blackheads. These are:
- Age and hormonal factors can lead to this. Blackheads, just like acne are seen mostly when you step into puberty. The secretion of androgen takes place in both genders during adolescence. Any alteration in hormone levels usually affects sebum production which can cause skin lesions of various types.
- Sometimes, women cope with blackheads when they take certain medications like birth control pills.
- Excess oil in skin can lead to its onset.
- While theories abound regarding relation of intake of certain foods with blackheads formation, dermatologists are divided in their views.
- Use of steroid based drugs like corticosteroids can also lead to blackheads formation.
How to Identify Blackheads and Distinguish from Other Skin Lesions?
It is important that you identify blackheads on nose and face from other common types of skin lesions. They have open pores and non-inflammatory in nature. So, they do not cause pain when pressed what is the case with pimples. They have raised texture but still flatter than pimples.
How to Treat Blackheads?
It is important that you are aware of the right ways to combat blackheads. There are various ways and each of them may not be equally effective. However, in most cases you can do without intervention by a dermatologist. Below listed are the most popular and tried and tested remedies for treating blackheads.
Gentle cleanser: Regardless of your skin type. Usage of a gentle cleaner is advisable if eliminating skin lesions is what you want. Natural extract based cleaners with no chemical ingredients are ideal for blackheads ridden skin. Try to use fragrance free and ph neutral cleaners.
Treat skin conditions: If there is any existing and underlying skin ailments as it can actually aggravate any lesion- whether it is acne or blackheads. This of course will require visit to a dermatologist’s clinic.
Natural remedies: There are several natural remedies that you can try to get rid of lesions like blackheads at home. The added benefit is that these remedies will not lead to aggravated skin lesions. These include application of herbs like turmeric, lemon juice, tea tree oil and baking soda on the affected spots. However, you should try which of these remedies suit your skin better and do not go overboard in application of these stuffs.
How to Prevent Blackheads Effectively and Evade Worsening Outbreak?
While options for treating the popping blackheads are there, is not it better if you take suitable measures to prevent them from appearing and marring your face? This is not hard if you follow certain things with consistency.
- If you have a sensitive or dry skin, refrain from using excess makeup products. If you have to use such products, ensure you use non comedogenic variants that do not clog skin pores.
- It is better that you do not eat too much oily food if keeping blackheads and related skin lesions at bay is what you want. So junk and fried food should be off your plate as far as possible. Stick to eating fresh and non fried food.
- While it is important that you skin facial skin regularly, ensure you do not wash it too much which can make it dry. In that case, sebum production will go up again which can worsen lesions.
- Whenever you touch blackheads, ensure your hand is free of germs and clean. Use a hand sanitizer before touching these. It is also advisable that you avoid squeezing and scrubbing them with nails or any sharp object.
Where it All Leads To?
So, you can see getting rid of blackheads is not tedious. If you are aware of what causes blackheads you can take apt measures to cope with the lesions or evade onset. However, in case you face recurring outbreaks, get in touch with the top
dermatologists in Hyderabad.