What should you ask your doctor before a surgery?
Across the planet, on a daily basis, millions of people undergo surgeries to treat various kinds of ailments. It might be a simple appendicitis removal surgery or a dangerous cancer causing tumor operation. Whatever the case be, surgeries now are as simple as “abc”. As soon as we hear the word ‘surgery’ we turn into a nervous wreck and start imagining all sorts of weird things about doctors ripping apart our body and suturing it with a plastic thread. Such behavior is quite normal but as a patient there are many things you should ask your doctor before undergoing a surgery for the problem. Here’s a quick checklist that might help you.
- How important is the surgery for the problem you are facing? Can’t medicines heal it?
- What is the procedure called and who will assist the doctor during the surgery?
- How long will the surgery take?
- What will happen if you don’t undergo a surgery now and postpone it?
- Details about the benefits of the surgery and how long will the benefits last?
- Are there any risks involved?
- How long will the recovery take? Will you be able to lead a normal life post surgery or are there any hidden risks?
- Will there be any marks on your body due to the incisions caused by the operation?
- Whom can you consult in case you require a second opinion about your health condition and the surgery?
- Will your insurance policy cover the surgery?
- How quickly can you get back to work after the surgery? How long should you stay on bed and depend on medicines?
- What kind of a diet should you follow post surgery? Are there any special food items you should refrain from eating?
- Are there any medical tests and evaluation procedures to be followed after the operation?
- Will you need physical therapy post surgery?
As a patient it is your basic right to get all the information about the surgery you are about to undergo. If you think you cannot remember all these questions, make a list and get them cleared by your medical expert.