Most Common Skin Disorders - Causes and Treatment
Almost everyone might have experienced at one time or the other the horror of dealing with a skin disorder/disease. Irrespective of the age, one can be affected by various skin ailments and if not treated properly the condition may get aggravated.
Skin problem can be caused by various factors, like:
- Weather conditions
- Overexposure to Sun’s rays
- Using products that doesn't suit the skin type
- Coming in close contact with those who are already suffering from any skin infection that is contagious
- Not taking proper care of the skin
Common Skin conditions
The five most common skin disorders that may affect a person are:
- Skin Cancer
- Stretch Marks
Acne is the result of the skin pores connecting to the oil glands being clogged by the dirt due to excess sun exposure and pollution. Though this is the least severe case among the other skin disorders yet statistics has proved that almost 2/3rd of the women suffer from this problem. It most often appears on the face, chest, neck, shoulders and back.
Factors that cause acne:
- Once again genetics plays a major role in the outbreak of acne
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause acne
- Growth hormones being released in a very high frequency during teenage may lead to sudden outbreak on the skin
- Sudden change in weather
- Skin type etc
- Clean the face and the affected area 2-3 times a day
- Use antibacterial products
- Use Sun Protection creams/lotions
- Keep your skin moisturized
- Do not scrub the affected area
- Use natural home remedies for acne that won't be harsh on the skin
- If the condition is severe visit a dermatologist and get it treated
When the skin cells grow rapidly due to the wrong signals sent by the immune system, it results in psoriasis. It is a chronic skin ailment that appears like scaly white patches on red skin (irritated skin in other words). Though it most often appears on the elbow and knee area, yet it may also spread to the other parts of the body. However it isn't contagious.
Factors that cause Psoriasis:
- Sudden change in the body condition
- Poor quality of life
- Clean the skin regularly with antibacterial soap and keep it moisturized.
- See the doctor immediately if you see any red rashes or silvery lines on your skin.
- Use the medicines prescribed by the doctor.
- Depending on the skin condition the doctor may either prescribe oral medication or ointments.
- In some cases where the skin has suffered a lot due to psoriasis the patient may be asked to go through phototherapy also referred to as light therapy.
It was reported by the AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) that almost 1 million people suffer from skin cancer annually. There are usually three most common types of skin cancer:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Factors that case Skin Cancer:
- It was stated that most common and major factor that cases skin cancer is overexposure to the harmful sun rays. The ultraviolet rays of the Sun, classified as UVA and UVB rays are the main cause for skin cancer.
- Genetics also plays a vital role in causing skin cancer in many individuals
Depending on the stage of the skin cancer and the case history of the patient the oncologist will decide on the kind of treatment to be suggested to the patient, these include:
- Radiation Therapy
- Photodynamic Therapy
- Biologic Therapy
Eczema is a long term skin condition that results in rashes on various parts of the body and itchy skin. There are three most common types of eczema:
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis
- Nummular Dermatitis
Factors that cause Eczema:
- Over exposure to Sun's rays
- Dry Skin (not taking proper care of the skin)
- Clean the skin and keep it moisturized
- Avoid getting is dried
- Visit the doctor and use the prescribed medicines regularly
When the skin is subjected to stretching beyond its elasticity it results in stretch marks. It is a common problem seen in pregnant women. In the last stage of pregnancy when their skin is stretched to its greatest force, it leaves several marks on the stomach and lower abdomen.
The other major factors are:
- Sudden weight gain
- Muscle Building
Previously there were no proper treatments for getting rid of stretch marks completely, but with the advancement in technology now there are various laser treatments being done to treat the same. Depending on the scar depth the treatment is suggested by the dermatologist. As these treatments are are too expensive most of the dermatologists suggest ways by which the marks can be lightened, these include:
- Using creams or products that has Vitamin E content
- Keeping your skin moisturized
- Having a control over your body weight
- Massaging the affected area with aloe vera gel can also help treat stretch marks
To avoid any kind of skin infections/disorders it is advised that you take proper care of our skin and keep it clean and moisturized always. Whenever you come come across any symptoms visit the doctor and get it treated immediately.
“Prevention is better than cure” .