8 Min Read
When there is a lower back pain alongside pain in the hip it could be the effect of a common reason and very rarely the reason for the pains may differ. Few injuries or health conditions can affect the nerves present in both the regions and lead to pain in the lower back and hip on one side.
We shall look at the supposed causes of hip pain and lower back pain. Besides, looking at the treatment options as although not life-threatening they can easily bring down the quality of daily life.
What Causes The Lower Back And Hip On One Side?
There are multiple reasons that can cause this condition. Few of the common causes include;
Strains And Sprains
Strains and sprains are some of the common reasons for this kind of pain. People with sprains and strains supposedly go through discomfort that increases with work and lessens with rest.
Sprains and strainsâ€™ causes include;
- Trauma or a fall
- Sports injuries
- Lifting heavy objects
- Awkward twist of the body
Resting for a few days usually improves the symptoms. The other treatment options include;
- Gentle stretching.
- Application of ice.
- Taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Tight Hip Flexors
If the hip flexors (muscles) are tight and stiff due to sitting in a particular position for too long it may lead to hip and back pain. It can as well lead to lower back pain on the right side above the hip.
- Warmth in the upper leg
- Muscle tremors in the hips or thighs
- Tenderness in the hips and thighs
- Feeling of weakness while kicking or moving the leg
- Stretching and physical therapy.
- Avoiding activities that heighten hip flexor tightness.
The other causes that include apart from the above two include;
One common thing to keep in mind is, overuse is one of the key causes of this condition.
Lower Back And Hip Pain On One Side Treatment
The treatment depends on the cause. As there are different causes for lower back and hip pain the treatment options vary. Based on the reason a doctor may suggest a treatment.
In general below are the treatment options;
- Medicines to lower chances of the breaking of bones
- Regular physical exercises that don't overburden backbone and hip region
- Taking food rich in vitamin D to strengthen bones
- Medicines like tumor necrosis factor (TNF) blockers (based on the cause)
- Alternative therapies like acupuncture and massage
- Nutritional supplementation to increase muscle strength
- Steroid injection & drug administration
- Ice therapy
- Medicines to lower spinal inflammation
- Epidural steroid injections
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like naproxen and ibuprofen
- In rare cases surgery
Stretching Exercises Lower Back And Hip Pain On One Side
In most cases, proper exercising and physiotherapy can do the trick to cure this condition. There are stretching exercises that can easily lower the pain and also lessen the lower back hip and leg pain right side. Below are those stretching exercises to do regularly in order to keep the lower back and hip pain in control.
- Prayer stretch
- Single knee to chest exercise
- Pelvic Tilt
- Piriformis Stretch
Other Tips To Get Rid Of Lower Back Pain On One Side
- Forego smoking
- Keep an eye on your weight, obesity also leads to this
- Sport low heels
- Maintain correct posture
- Use proper seat to be seated if you sit for long hours
- Keep getting up often
- Hot or cold packs
- Stretches such as touching toes, cobra pose, childâ€™s pose and so on will help
These will surely help you get relief from the condition.
When To See A Doctor?
Seeking a medical emergency is a must in these conditions;
- Loss of bladder and bowel function
- The incapability of moving 1 or both legs
- Loss of sensation in 1 or both legs
- Deformity in the back and legs thatâ€™s visible
In all the above cases itâ€™s a sign of seriousness. Pain in the lower back and hip on one side has become common these days and about 80% of adults go through this at one point of time, however, treating it at the right interval by consulting the medical expert is very much essential in order to not escalate the situation.