St. Martha's Hospital, located in the heart of Bengaluru, is one of the oldest hospitals in the city, having been established in 1886, and having celebrated its 125th year of establishment in 2011. St. Martha's Hospital is owned and run by the Good Shepherd Sisters and the hospital has given the people of Bengaluru, especially the poorer and the weaker sections of the society, compassionate medical and nursing care. The superior of the convent, Mother Visitation Loesch, took the initiative in the setting up of the hospital, which began with contributions from the public. Within a very short time the required amount was raised for construction of the buildings and the hospital became functional shortly.
In 1964, St. Martha's Hospital expanded its service and set up a rural health centre about 15 km from Bangalore. The centre caters to the needs of Uttarahalli village and other nearby villages. Immunization, maternal and child welfare programs are regularly conducted in the city slums from time to time.
The hospital treats over 2.50 lakh out-patients and about 21,000 in-patients annually. It offers 534 beds of which 410 are earmarked for general ward patients, who are given free treatment, or treatment at a highly subsidized rates that is decided on the merits of the case by the sisters. The hospital offers all the modern facilities through use of ultramodern technology.