5 Min Read
Everyone should know that covid-19 vaccinations are safe and effective vaccinations to safeguard people from the deadly covid-19 virus but what happens when you are vaccinated and exposed to covid-19? As per the health organizations, vaccinations bring no hazard to the people. But being vaccinated does not mean that you can move freely without following the measures to be taken in the view of the virus spreading. Here is how to deal and stay safe if you are vaccinated and also exposed to covid-19
Can We Get Covid-19 After Vaccination?
Yes, although all the covid vaccinations have a high level of efficacy against severity and hospitalization, no vaccine is 100 percent defensive. A recent study shows that a full booster against the covid-19 virus offers 96 percent protection. It is stated even partially vaccinated persons are 81 percent more protected than the non-vaccinated ones. Irrespective of the effectiveness of the vaccine, several other factors also impact the success of the vaccine like the person’s age and prior covid-19 infection. People who are fully vaccinated if exposed to the infection can still be detected with the virus but with milder symptoms and shorter illness. They are less likely to spread the virus to others as compared to the people who are not immunized. Experts say that vaccinations are the key solution against the deadly illness of covid-19.
When To Get Tested For Covid-19?
The covid-19 test includes the sampling of the nasal swab of the suspected covid-19 patients. There is also an antibody test and blood test that shows if you had an infection in the past or not.
So, what is the right time to get tested for covid-19? Here it is;
- People who manifest symptoms of covid-19 should get tested for the infection.
- If you had close contact with the confirmed covid-19 patient within a distance of 6 feet for a period of more than 15 minutes or a long exposure of 24 hours. The incubation period of the virus is around 5 to 7 days and it can extend to 14 days also. If you get your test done too early, there is a possibility that you get a negative result.
- Fully vaccinated people should get tested within 4-5 days of exposure.
- Centre for disease control (CDC) also confirmed that anyone showing symptoms or signs of covid-19 must get tested regardless of full vaccination or previous infection. They should follow proper advice given by the health experts.
By identifying the covid-19 symptoms on time and abiding by the public health interventions, we can prevent a large number of infections.
What To Do If You Are Fully Vaccinated And Still Exposed To Covid-19?
If fully vaccinated persons come in close contact with covid-19 patients or suspected covid-19 patients, they should be tested within 3-4 days of their exposure. The person exposed should follow the guidelines specified by the health authorities and remain indoor quarantined for 14 days or until they receive a negative test report. They should isolate themselves so that they can further stop the escalation. They should timely monitor their health for 14 days of their last contact and be aware of any signs that are seen. Anyone who is fully immunized to develop symptoms of covid-19 should immediately get a test done. However, public health experts state that there is no need to panic until you develop symptoms or show any signs of infection. If they show no symptoms for a week after the exposure they can relax.
There are many safe and effective vaccines that prevent people from getting a covid-19 infection. The covid-19 vaccines are safe for people aged 18 years and above depending on the recommendations of the various health organizations. Even after vaccinations, it is advisable to continue taking proper precautions to slow and in the fullness of time to stop the spread of the virus.
Important Things To Keep In Mind
Following proper guidelines will help us to fight this pandemic. Doing these all effectively will protect us from this deadly virus.
Tips to take care of are as follow;
- Get yourself fully vaccinated
- Wear a mask in public places
- Practice proper social distancing
- Maintain hygienic practices
- Avoid rubbing your nose, eyes, and mouth
- Avoid crowded places
- Wash your hands frequently
- Proper use of good quality sanitizer
- You must cover your face and nose while sneezing and coughing
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Disinfect the surfaces
- Ensure good indoor ventilation
- Strengthen your immune system
Being vaccinated and exposed to covid-19 is not a worrisome situation. Covid can be controlled effectively by carrying out the measures that will protect us from this deadly virus. Practicing good hygiene conditions will aid us to fight this virus above all vaccination lessens your chances of covid.