5 Min Read
If flowers are blooming all around you and you are enjoying myriad fragrances, it is spring and it is time for the grapefruits to be sweet. But, during other seasons, they might not be very friendly to your taste buds because they can be tangy! Still, they are important. They are important because they come with numerous health benefits and they can help you to maintain a good health. The taste is seasonal but the fruit itself isnâ€™t a seasonal one. You need to seriously consider adding grapefruit to your diet chart on a regular basis.
SCURVY â€“ FROM PIRATES TO COMMONS
There was once a notion that scurvy was a disease that was meant only for the Pirates. They used to keep grapefruit on their ships to cure this health problem. However, scurvy has spread and it is no longer a piratesâ€™ disease. It has crossed oceans and penetrated deep into the lands and affected common people. This disease happens when there is a deficiency of vitamin C in the body. Eating too much processed food and too much smoking can lead to scurvy where the common problems are teeth loosening, gum diseases, swollen and sore joints and veins as well as excessive fatigue. Grapefruit is a rich source of vitamin C and can help to cure scurvy.
SOME OTHER BENEFITS OF GRAPEFRUIT
- Grapefruit helps to boost the immune system of the body. The fruit is a rich source of vitamins P, B1, B2 and C and other minerals like calcium and potassium. These are all responsible for improving bodyâ€™s natural defense against diseases and foreign elements and strengthen bones and teeth as well as help to fight gum problems.
- Flu and cold can be caused due to the lack of vitamin C. Grapefruit is a natural source of vitamin C that is available along with pulp and thereby helps to fight and prevent high fever.
- There are body parts like arteries and liver that may harden. This medical condition can be resolved by consuming grapefruit every day. Grapefruit is known for softening the body parts that have become hard.
- Men generally run into the risk of prostate cancer. However, a regular consumption of grapefruit along with a cup of hot green tea can help to prevent prostate cancer. Grapefruit is rich in lycopene, which is known to be a natural anti-tumor element.
- Those who suffer from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and asthma are suggested to eat grapefruit every day because of its anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to keep a check on those medical conditions.
- Grapefruit is also known to shield people against possibly fatal medical conditions like stroke, cancer and various heart diseases.
- Cholesterol level can be controlled by eating grapefruit. In this situation however, you need to consult your doctor because it can react with prescription medicine you take for cholesterol control.
With so many health benefits lined up, there is no reason why you should avoid this amazing gift of nature. In case you do not like the taste, dip it in some raw honey and then eat! It will taste a little better!