The Many Amazing Health Benefits of Mangoes - The King of Fruits
Summer is synonymouswith two things - the sweltering heat that has us wishing for some coolingrespite and the delectable mangoes that have us wishing that summer never goesaway. The king of fruits is quite a winner amongst culinary experts and foodlovers, for reasons well known. But apart from delighting the taste buds,mangoes are also known to offer remarkable health boosting benefits. Here aresome of the greatest benefits of mangoes that will make you indulge in thesejuicy wonders, guilt free:
Health Benefits of Mangoes
1. They ImproveDigestive Health - Owing to the high doses of fiber and water contained in them, mangoes helpprevent constipation and aid bowel movements, thereby improving digestive health. One medium sized mango contains approximately 5 grams of fiber.
2. They PreventAge-Related Macular Degeneration - Mangoes are packed with copiousamounts of vitamin A and zeaxanthin - the antioxidants known to improveeyesight by lowering the risk of cataracts, night blindness and maculardegeneration.
3. They Boost BoneHealth - One of the most common reasons for weakened bones is the deficiency of vitamin K inthe body. Low vitamin K levels can make you more susceptible bone fractures.Mangoes are rich in vitamin K that helps in the absorption of calcium necessaryfor the formation and strengthening of bones.
4. They Lower theRisk of Diabetes - Oneof the best benefits of eating mangoes is that it can also lower the risk ofdiabetes. Yet again, the high fiber content in mangoes has a huge role to play.According to a study published in the European Journal of Epidemiology, highintake of fiber is inversely proportional with the risk of type 2 diabetes.
5. They Ward OffCardiovascular Diseases - Mangoes nutrition ranges from high quantities of fiber, potassium and vitamin, that work together to lower the risk of heart diseases. Studies report thathigh intake of potassium, especially, reduces blood pressure and risk ofstroke.
6. They PreventAsthma - Another wonder nutrient present in mangoes is beta-carotene. Beta-carotene has aprotective effect against exercise induced asthma owing to the anti-oxidativebenefits it offers.
7. They HaveAnti-Carcinogenic Properties - While the beta-carotene contained in mangoeslower the risk of prostate and colon cancer, the mango polyphenol extractsprovide protection from breast, blood and lung cancers.
Benefits of Mangofor Skin
8. They RemoveBlackheads - Didyou know, mangoes can be an excellent exfoliant? Simply mix some mango pulpwith half a teaspoon of yogurt and one teaspoon of honey and apply it on yourskin to get rid of blackheads and dead skin cells.
9. They PreventPremature Skin Aging - Mangoesare a chockfull of antioxidants that are known to fight free radical damage andthereby delay theprocess and signs of skin aging like fine lines,wrinkles and pigmentation. These antioxidants even prevent skin cancer.
10. They EnhanceComplexion - The beta-carotene contained in mangoes plays a major role in enhancing skin complexion. Mixthe pulp of onemango with a few teaspoons of flour and honey until it forms a thick paste.Apply the paste on your face and leave on for 15 minutes before washing it offwith cold water. Use regularly for best results.
11. They Fight Acne-Contrary to the common myth that mangoes triggers acne, the fact is that theycan clear acne. One of the many benefits of raw mangoes is that it can treatbreakouts. Boil a slice of mango in a cup of water, strain the liquid and allowit to cool. Usethe liquid to cleanse your face as itsastringent properties will soothe theskin and prevent breakouts.
Benefits of Mangofor Hair
12. They Boost HairGrowth - Enrichedwith vitamin E, a nutrient that improves blood circulation, mangoes helpprovide the scalp with adequate and uninterrupted dosage of oxygen andessential nutrients, thereby improving hair growth.
13. They Conditionthe Hair - Whyrely on harsh, chemically-laden conditioners when you can make your own, rightat home? Mango is an active ingredient in many commercially sold hairconditioners because of its high nutrient content. To make a conditioner usingmangoes at home, mix the pulp of one mango with the yolk of one egg. Add a teaspoon of honeyand yogurt to the mixture and blend well. Apply the mask to your hair, leave onfor half an hour and shampoo as usual. Your hair will become softer and shinerwith every wash.
14. They PreventDandruff - Mangoesbeing rich in vitamin A help produce sebum that lubricates the scalp and hairfollicles, preventing the onset of dandruff.
Even though thereare multiple health benefits that mangoes offer, ensure you don’t go overboardwith the consumption of this delicious fruit as it is slightly high oncalories. To guide you on the recommended intake of mangoes and other dietaryrequirements based on your medical history, you can find the best diet counsellors in delhion Sehat.