Top 5 Spine Health Tips
Do you suffer from acute spinal pain whenever you have to do some work that involves bending or stretching your body? Do you find it difficult to sit straight for a longer time? If yes, then it’s time you know that you are suffering from all these due to improper spinal health. Spine is the only part of the body which consists of several nerves, ligaments and muscles that are connected to different parts of the body. So it becomes vital that one takes proper care of their spine to enjoy good health. Here are few spine health tips recommended by the ACA (American Chiropractic Association), which when considered will help in preventing any spine/health related problems in future:
Standing Straight :
- While you stand do not lean on anything or take support, try to stand straight for as long as you can.
- Do not bend forward or backward while standing.
- Do not keep shifting the weight of your body from foot to another.
- As far as possible shift the pressure from your lower back on to your foot and knees by standing with slightly crossed legs and bent knees.
Take Support and Sit Up Straight :
- Do not sit in the same position for a longer time. Try standing or changing your sitting posture at regular intervals.
- Do not lean forward or slouch, this position often leads to severe pain in the lower back or legs.
- Always try to sit straight, take support if possible.
- You can support the natural curves of your lower back by maintaining a good body posture.
- Experts also suggest to do brisk walking and stretching exercise for about 20-30 mins a day, as it helps in maintaining your spinal structures.
Regular Exercise :
- Following a regular exercise regime for your lower back and abdomen would support your spinal health in the long run.
- It’s been proven time and again that maintaining healthy muscles helps in minimizing the risk of spinal injury.
- Individuals who are obese/overweight are more prone to spinal health issues. As the weight of their tummy falls on the lower back, it leads to improper spinal structure. Hence it becomes vital that you maintain your ideal body weight for overall good health.
- Consult your physician and fitness instructor and come up with an exercise regime that will help you lose all those extra pounds and enjoy good health.
Eat Healthy :
- It’s an undeniable fact that our body weight is directly linked to the diet we follow. Giving into unhealthy food habits like binging on unhygienic street food (fried food, junk food, cold beverages, soda etc), overeating, opting for comfort foods (chocolates, ice-creams, desserts etc) and much more only leads to unwanted health issues and nothing more
- Consult your doctor and come up with a diet plan, follow it religiously and make it a habit that you only have hygiene homemade food.
Apart From These You Can Also Follow these simple spine Care tips :
- Quit smoking and consuming alcohol. It’s been proven that the blood flow in the tissues are been restricted by the chemicals involved in the tobacco smoke. Hence smokers are more prone to spinal health issues than non-smokers.
- Do not sleep on your back as it puts more pressure on the spine and leads to severe spinal pain. Instead try to sleep sideways. Use a pillow in between your knees or below your knees to reduce almost 50% pressure on your back.
- While carrying any objects, depending on its weight try to balance it properly. Do not put all the weight on one side; try to use both the hands to carry the object.
Following these simple spine health tips and techniques will not just help in reducing your lower back and spinal pain, but also prevent it in the future. As the saying goes, “It’s better to prevent and prepare than to repent and repair”