6 Min Read
Why is it that we see people skipping breakfast now more than ever before? Is it that people like to skip breakfast regardless, or are they on a dieting spree? Studies have shown that the present trend indicates that more and more people all over the world are skipping breakfast. Unfortunately, the trend is not restricted to adults alone but seen in school and college-going children too. This is a rather sad state of affairs and the repercussions of this could be felt in later years.
People tend to skip breakfast for some reason or the other - while some do this for the sake of dieting others are just not able to find the time to eat breakfast in their morning rush-hour. But, is what they are doing the right thing? No, absolutely not. Let us see why.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and this fact has been drilled into our minds since a long time. Breakfast - as the name indicates you are breaking the overnight fast, of say about 6-8 hours. Your body, and your brain in particular, need the energy and nutrients to start the day right and carry on with the daily activities. Students and adults are able to perform better due to increased concentration. When you do not eat a breakfast, you are depriving your body of the vital nutrients. So, stop and have healthy morning breakfast - it doesn't take much time to grab a bite, does it?
What Happens When You Don't Eat Breakfast?
When people normally have breakfast, they are bound to feel hungry only at lunchtime. But, when you don"t eat any breakfast you are definitely going to feel hungry well before lunchtime. And since it is not the right time to eat lunch, you snack on unhealthy junk foods that are high in fat and sugar. And, there is another thing - people who avoid breakfasts are unlikely to make up for the lost vitamins and minerals which, they could otherwise have obtained from a routine breakfast. Breakfast helps you to go through your morning routine smoothly with experiencing any mid-morning slump.
The Advantages of Eating Breakfast
1. Lose Weight: Eat a healthy breakfast for weight loss and it is quite easy too. Just eat your healthy morning breakfast every day! The truth of the fact is that when you skip meals your body burns fewer calories. So, get your metabolism going with healthy breakfast options.
2. Not becoming overweight: Studies have revealed that people who have the tendency to avoid or skip breakfast are more likely to be overweight than people who eat breakfast regularly.
3. Meeting your dietary needs: You can meet the dietary needs of your body only when you can eat three meals a day. It is extremely essential for your body to have all the vital nutrients for it to remain healthy and ward off ailments and diseases.
4. Improved performance: It was found that children who eat a regular breakfast definitely performed better and had higher scores, as opposed to children who didn't eat breakfasts. Moreover, these children displayed a lower record of absenteeism due to ill-health.
5. More focused: Eating a breakfast gives you a definite advantage. If you haven"t had a breakfast, you will feel fatigued, tired, and lose concentration of the work on hand and your decision-making faculties would become impaired.
Follow the age-old adage: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." That means the emphasis is on the breakfast - eat a hearty breakfast, but not too heavy.
Eat a Healthy Breakfast:
Let Us Help You Decide What Constitutes a Healthy Breakfast
- You could start your day with a bowl of breakfast cereal. Choose the flavor you like. These cereals are a storehouse of important vitamins and minerals. Add a couple of boiled eggs to go along with that.
- Another excellent source of protein is soya, and it is also rich in fiber and minerals.
- Ragi is one of the excellent healthy breakfast options. It is a great source of iron and fiber.
- Another very good choice of a good breakfast is sprouts. They are easy to make. But, you may not have to go through the hassle as ready made sprouts are easily available everywhere.
- You could also include low-fat dairy products in your breakfast.
- Natural fruits and vegetables would also make an excellent breakfast.